Push notifications are interactive pop-ups that reach users across devices and browsers. They provide a quick and effective way for companies to connect with their audience. Subscribers receive these messages wherever they are online, boosting user engagement and retention.
Introduced in 2009, push notifications are a relatively new but powerful digital marketing channel. While marketers are still exploring their full potential, they have observed that push notifications enhance repeat visits and user re-engagement.
In this comprehensive guide, we'll delve into the anatomy of push notifications, from crafting an enticing title and concise copy to adding images and emojis to convey messages more effectively. We'll also discuss the importance of opt-in messages and how they can convert visitors into subscribers.
When you set up push notifications on your website, visitors encounter an opt-in message. This critical message influences whether a visitor becomes a subscriber. It's essential to communicate the value of your push notifications clearly.
"Running a successful mobile push messaging campaign is about engaging, not intruding. It's about delivering value and building lasting connections with your audience."
Customising the opt-in message and timing it appropriately based on your business and target audience are essential. You can choose when it appears, such as upon visiting your site or after a set time of engagement, and ensure visitors know they can opt out easily, building trust in your brand.
Push notifications are a potent marketing tool, boasting an impressive 4-8 times higher click rate than emails. This power stems from several key attributes:
With push notifications, user engagement begins with a simple 'allow' click. Users decide whether they wish to receive notifications, making the opt-in message crucial. Clarity about the type of messages they'll receive is essential to retain subscribers' interest and trust.
Many businesses grapple with low lead counts and quality due to users' reluctance to share personal information. Push notifications eliminate this hurdle by enabling one-click subscriptions without the need for data entry. Plus, since users must opt in, each delivered message is guaranteed to reach an engaged audience, maximising your reach.
Attracting visitors to your website is one thing; keeping them coming back is another. Push notifications provide a solution by delivering compelling messages that re-engage users, directing them back to your site. This approach boosts return visitor numbers, thanks to targeted and personalised content. Push notifications enjoy a 4x higher click-through rate (CTR) compared to emails.
Crafting newsletters and emails demands considerable time and effort. In contrast, push notifications are concise and quick to compose while maintaining their effectiveness. A well-crafted title and a resonant message are all it takes to connect with your audience.
Push notifications enable real-time communication, seizing instant response opportunities. Automate campaign notifications, set expiry dates for time-sensitive messages, and tailor notifications based on geographies and time zones for maximum impact.
Push notifications outperform SMS and email, as they land directly on users' desktop or mobile browsers, demanding attention without being relegated to spam folders.
Stay engaged with your mobile audience without the need for a dedicated mobile app. Push notifications reach users on Android devices with supported browsers like Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, ensuring seamless connectivity and user interaction.
Calculating the ROI for your web push notification strategy is a vital aspect of being a savvy web marketer. It's all about optimising your resource allocation intelligently. Unlike the relatively expensive process of designing mobile app push notifications, web push notifications offer a cost-effective alternative. So, determining the return on investment is crucial to make well-informed decisions.
Web Push ROI measures the performance of your investment in web push notifications, specifically aimed at retargeting site visitors. To gauge this ROI effectively, you should focus on several key metrics:
1. Unique Visitors: This metric tracks the average number of monthly unique visitors to your site.
2. Opt-In Rate: This reflects the percentage of visitors who opt-in for push notifications.
3. Delivery Rate: It is calculated by comparing the impressions and successfully delivered messages to the total number of messages sent, considering that subscribers are online to receive the messages.
4. CTR (Click-Through Rate): This metric represents the percentage of clicks per delivered message, assuming that each click results in a session.
5. Number of Notifications: This indicates the quantity of notifications you intend to push each month.
6. Average Order Value (for eCommerce): This measure reflects the average total order value over a specified period.
7. Average Monthly Sessions (for publishers): It represents the average time visitors spend on your website each month.
8. Conversion Rate: This industry-standard metric typically ranges from 2% to 3%.
Alert: Ensure that your push messages are well-crafted and concise, as users appreciate clear and valuable information. Avoid overloading them with notifications.
Push notifications rely on services such as Google's Firebase Cloud Messaging (FCM) and Apple's Push Notification Service to enable notifications on platforms like Safari and Windows Notification Service for Microsoft Edge. Here's a simplified breakdown of how FCM operates:
It's worth noting that while FCM is affiliated with Google, it also collaborates with other browsers that support the Push API, like Mozilla Firefox and Opera, enabling web apps to send and receive push notifications.
Browsers Supporting Push Notifications: Currently, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari support push notification services. It's important to be aware that browser support can vary among vendors, and the appearance of notifications may differ based on the browser and operating system.
However, there are a few important considerations:
Metrics to Optimise User Engagement: After implementing your push notification system, monitoring its effectiveness is crucial. Consider these key metrics to assess the impact across your marketing funnel:
1. Opt-In Rate: Ensure your audience is actively opting in for push notifications. It's the initial step towards building a valuable subscriber base. Analyse the opt-in rate and fine-tune your opt-in message to resonate with your users, showcasing the benefits of subscribing.
2. Browser and Platform Distribution: Understand how your audience accesses notifications – on desktop or mobile devices. Gain insights into which browsers are most effective for your push notification campaigns.
3. Delivery and Click Rate: Evaluate the delivery and click rates to gauge message reach and content quality. Track the number of subscribers who engage with your messages and reach the landing page.
4. Conversion Rate: The percentage of visitors who perform desired actions is a vital metric. Identify the sources driving the most traffic to your site and assess different segments for performance optimization.
While push notifications have gained momentum in recent years, they aren't a magic bullet for boosting your business metrics. To make push notifications work effectively, a well-planned approach is essential. Key elements of a successful push notification strategy include:
1. Crafting Compelling Content: Tailor your content to your target audience's needs and questions. Use clear and direct language, avoid jargon, and engage users with catchy one-liners and compelling calls to action.
2. Leveraging Your Subscriber Base: If you have a substantial email subscriber list, you can promote your push notifications in your email newsletters to encourage opt-ins.
3. Using Social Proof: Establish a presence on various social media platforms and include opt-in triggers in your profile bio. Highlight your product or service's performance and user satisfaction to build credibility.
4. Sending the Right Notifications: Customise your notifications based on user preferences, content type, and user behaviour. Personalization increases engagement and relevance.
5. Segmenting and Customizing: Segment your audience and send personalised, relevant notifications. Tailor messages based on user behaviours, interests, and attributes for maximum impact.
6. Offering Easy Opt-In and Opt-Out Options: Ensure a straightforward opt-in process, and provide a clear opt-out option. Experiment with the timing of your opt-in message to optimise the user experience.
1. Sending Too Many Notifications: Bombarding subscribers with notifications may lead to opt-outs. Tailor your frequency to your audience's preferences.
2. Not Automating Notifications: Poorly timed notifications can irritate users. Schedule notifications to reach users at appropriate times and in their respective time zones.
3. Not Sending Onboarding Notifications: Familiarise new subscribers with your website by using welcome drip notifications to guide them through different sections.
4. Following the 'Spray-and-Pray' Approach: Personalization is key. Segment your audience and send relevant, personalised notifications based on user behaviour.
5. Not Tracking the Right Metrics: Don't focus solely on click rates. Measure the impact of your notifications by tracking specific actions and conversions on your website.
It's essential to align your push notification strategy with your unique business goals, audience, and industry. Be aware of industry-specific best practices and continuously fine-tune your strategy for optimal results.
Push notifications come in four distinct types: Web push notifications, Desktop push notifications, Mobile app push notifications, and push notifications for wearables. Let's dive into each type:
Each type serves unique purposes and caters to various devices, offering marketers diverse ways to engage with their audience effectively.
In the realm of push notifications, you have a spectrum of captivating options to engage your audience effectively. Let's delve into these personalized communication channels:
Explore these diverse push notification types to engage your audience on a personal level and elevate your communication strategy.
Note: When running a mobile push messaging campaign, prioritise user engagement, relevant content, and proper timing to ensure its effectiveness.